Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Currious Case of Benjamin Button


Sorry for my extended absence from the land of blogging. College applications really paid their toll.
I recently saw a movie called "The curious Case of Benjamin Button". The first thing I have to say about it is, "long." If Brad Pitt as a writhing midget old man wasn't bad enough, than watching it for and hour was. For a while I thought they might make us watch him live his life in real time.
Benjamen Button is a man who was born with the body/health of an 80 year old but the mentality of a child. He slowly ages backwards until he is a senile child. The biggest problem that the movie had was lack of a plot. While it somewhat followed the story of his relationship with a younger girl that inevitably evolves into love when their body states meet in the middle, for the most part it dragged. The probable reason for its length was its lack of focus.
The second problem was that it tried to be Forrest Gump, but without the intelligent political references. It simply consisted of a series of events in Benjamin's life.
It may seem like I hated the movie, but that's not true. I simply noticed its shortcomings. There were a lot of good aspects of it. The acting at times was great. It was amazing how they were able to make Brad Pitt so old and then so young all digitally. It was also amazing how Brad was able to actually make me believe he was a young kid in an Old man's body, an guy in his 20's in a semi-old body, and then a 60-year-old in a 20-year-old's body. Cate Blanchett also has a wonderful character.
The movie was funny at times and sad at others. It was even sometimes thought provoking. I actually enjoyed a lot of it. It was just way to long and didn't have enough of a plot.
Final Rating: 3.7

1 comment:

Denny's Blog said...

I haven’t seen this movie, and honestly its because the idea of an old man in a child's body and vice versa kind of freaks me out. I appreciate your honesty about the film. While you aren't bashing, you are explaining its faults yet still recognizing the positives. But I must admit that your rating and summary haven't persuaded me to change my mind and see the film, i think ill skip this one. ; )