Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Casablanca

I would like to first talk about what I saw in the first 40 minutes of Casablanca - up to the point in which we are first introduced to Ilsa Lund and Victor Laszlo. Some of my classmates in my Art of Film class have said that these first 40 minutes were boring. This reminds me of a technique characteristic of Shakespeare. Shakespeare used to make the first scene unimportant so that people can walk in late. However, I don't think that this is the case with Casablanca at all. I rather enjoyed the first 40 minutes. Why? Because it created an extremely interesting setting and a strong charachter.

The setting created in Casablanca is that of a town that is the equivalence of purgatory. People who seek to flee to glorious America find them selves in a bustling black-market-dealing town. In this town many people have found their niche and are content to remain in Casablanca. To me this is an extremely interesting setting.

Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) is a man who has found his niche as the owner of a popular restaurant. His character becomes a man who has an enormous amount of power in his setting, but whose power has nothing to do with government or the law. His character is expanded when he turns away a rich french customer. From this instance we discover that he is a man who uses his power virtuously and not just for wealth. When Sammy chooses to remain in Rick's hotel despite an offer of double the pay, we discover that Rick is a man who people want to be around. Rick's display of virtue is strengthened by his similarity to Sammy. To me this is an extremely interesting character. Watching both his character and his setting develop was enjoyable, not boring. This unique mixture of an interesting character and setting made me excited to see the rest of the film. It removed any natural skepticism I have against old films.

In addition, it is not as if nothing happens during these 40 minutes. Stolen passports from two dead Frenchmen are left in Rick's possession - their owner having been imprisoned. The police fill his restaurant and their is an expected arrival of a man against the law who could really use those passports.

Having said this, I do believe that the plot was furthered extensively by the montage about Rick and Ilsa's love for each other. However, like I said, the first 40 minutes are for creating the setting and the opportunity for an interesting plot. The montage is where the plot actually emerges.

Just an anecdote: This montage changed my knowledge of what a montage is

I realize now that it can be series of flashbacks that interrupt the film as well

as the traditional strip of scenes with cheesy music playing in the background.

The plot that has emerged is very interesting and leaves alot of room for guesswork. Why did Ilsa leave Rick? Who is Victor Lazlo? Why is the Titles name synonymous with the White House? Your guess is as good as mine.

2 comments:

The Director said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Director said...

I agree with your opinion about the first 40 minutes. I thought it was great because of the jazz, the romance, and more.